Peperomia Prostrata is a beautiful vining succulent plant because of its gorgeous turtle patterned round, succulent and fleshy leaves. The leaves look like small turtles. Hence this plant is also known as String of turtles. The leaves of this plant are very delicate and can be broken quite easily. The leaves have a dark green colour with a white pattern printed under a semi-clear gel-like layer. The leaves generally grow upto 0.5 inches wide. Being a spreading and vining succulent plant, it is a perfect choice for hanging baskets. This succulent is native to the rain forest of Brazil.
|Scientific Name||Peperomia prostrata B.S. Williams|
|Common Names||String of Turtles, Magic marmer|
Normally, Peperomia Prostrata plant can be 1 to 4 inches in height and 4 inches in width. The leaves of this plant has dark green colour. It forms a thick mat necklace type string which looks beautiful when cascaded over the sides of the hanging pot.
String of turtles succulent has flowers once in a year and look like little spikes having reddish-brown colour. The flowers of this plant has no scent.
Peperomia Prostrata needs bright indirect light. It does not tolerate direct sunlight. This plant can be placed indoors but should get indirect bright light. This succulent generally prefer cool to warm and humid weather.
The best temperature for this plant is ranging from 18° C – 24°C (65° – 75° degrees Fahrenheit). This plant cannot tolerate extremes of hot or cold climate.
This plant is perfect choice for hanging pots which can be placed in balcony or terrace. It can also be used at office desk.
Peperomia Prostrata Plant Guide
The Peperomia Prostrata plant care includes the following points.
- Light Requirements: This succulent needs only medium indirect light. It does not tolerate direct sunlight.
- Water Requirements: This vining plant likes a moist soil but does not like too much water. Water this plant once it is completely dry but do not over water it. Water it once every 2-3 weeks.
- Difficulty to grow: typically slow growth
- Favourable Temperature: 13° C – 24°C (55° – 75° degrees Fahrenheit)
- Soil Requirement: This plant doesn’t need any special type of potting soil. Although you can use succulent potting mix with good drainage.
- Fertilizer Requirement: This plant might get fertilized once a month in a month.
- How to propagate: This plant is easy to propagate by stem cutting. Cut a small string of plant and place it on top of the soil. After sometime the roots will develop and the plant will start growing.
Peperomia Prostrata plant Care
- This succulent can not caught by any disease but can be affected by insects. Mealybugs can affect the leaves of this succulent.
- Another thing to remember is to not over watering the plant. Over watering have a chance to rot the plant roots. The right time to water the plant once it’s soil is completely dried.
- String of turtle plant needs indirect bright light. Try to avoid placing this plant under direct sunlight.