A string of pearls plant (Scientific name: Curio rowleyanus) is a beautiful, cascading succulent plant. This unique plant is recognized by its leaves that grow into spherical, marble-like little balls. These leaves are cascaded and resemble like a string of beads.
|Scientific Name||Curio rowleyanus|
|Common Names||String of Pearls, String of Beads, String of Peas, Rosary Vine|
|Synonyms||Senecio rowleyanus (basionym), Kleinia rowleyana|
The leaves grow along the trailing stem. When these hang down the sides of the pot, it looks beautiful. Generally, it is used as a hanging plant.
This plant is easy to grow and requires less maintenance or care. The String of Pearls plant is drought tolerant, surviving long periods without water.
This plant blooms white flowers, in the spring with a characteristic odour of cinnamon.
String of Pearls Plant Guide
The string of pearls plant care includes the following points.
- Light Requirements: This plant needs only bright indirect light.
- Water Requirements: This plant does not require too much water. Water this plant once every two weeks in summers and spring. Water this plant once per month in winter.
- Difficulty to grow: Easy
- Favourable Temperature: 21 °C (70 °F) to 26 °C (80 °F)
- Soil Requirement: It needs Porous soil with good drainage.
- Fertilizer Requirement: This plant might get fertilized once a month in spring and mid-summer.
- How to propagate: Cut off 3-4 inch cutting of plant stem and lay it on soil and press down gently. Light water spray around the cutting. Wait for the cuttings to grow roots.
String of Pearls Plant Care
- This succulent plant has no major mealybugs and fungal diseases problem.
- This plant is very sensitive to over watering. Hence It is susceptible to root rot. Water the plant once every two weeks (recommended).
- Always use a sandy mix with good drainage.
- This plant needs indirect sunlight. Try to avoid placing this plant under direct sunlight. This will cause plant sunburn issues and may damage the plant. If you are placing your plant indoor, try to consider placing it near the window.
- Protect this plant from frost in winter.