String of Dolphins plant is a gorgeous vining succulent plant because of its amazing dolphin-shaped, succulent and fleshy leaves. Its scientific name is Senecio peregrinus. Its leaves look like small dolphins jumping and crossing the stem. Hence this plant is also known as String of dolphins. This plant is similar to string succulents like string of pearls, string of bananas, string of turtles, etc. The care of this plant is relatively easy as compared to other string succulents. Being a spreading and vining plant, it is a perfect choice for hanging baskets or pots. This succulent is native to Southwest Africa.
|Scientific Name||Senecio peregrinus|
|Common Names||String of Dolphins, Dolphin Plant, Dolphin Necklace, Flying Dolphins|
|Synonyms||Curio peregrinus, Dendrophorbium peregrinum, Senecio x peregrinus, Curio x peregrinus|
Normally, String of dolphins plant can have string length grow up to 15 cm (6 inches). The leaves of this plant has dark green colour having tiny white patterns. It looks like a necklace string which looks gorgeous when planted in a hanging basket or pot.
This succulent plant has a small, white colored flowers once in a year. These flowers have a sweet cinnamon scent.
It needs bright light but does not require direct sunlight. It should be placed in partially shaded area. It can be placed indoors but require approximately 5-6 hours of light per day to grow. Use T-5 fluorescent or white LED (Light emitting diode) light for good growth.
The best temperature for this plant is ranging from 10° C – 18°C (50° – 65° degrees Fahrenheit).
This succulent is perfect for hanging pots but can also be used at office desks.
String of Dolphins Plant Guide
The String of Dolphins plant care includes the following points.
- Light Requirements: This succulents needs bright indirect light. Place this plant in partial shade. These plant get sunburned easily when exposed to direct sunlight for long hours.
- Water Requirements: This succulent plant does not like too much water. Water this plant once it is completely dry but do not over water it. Water it once every 1-2 weeks depending upon whether condition.
- Difficulty to grow: fast growth plant
- Favourable Temperature: 4° C – 22°C (40° – 72° degrees Fahrenheit)
- Soil Requirement: This plant need well-draining soil.
- Fertilizer Requirement: This plant might get fertilized once a month in a month.
- How to propagate: This is easy to do by stem cutting. Cut a small string and place it on top of the soil. After sometime the roots will develop and plant will start growing.
String of Dolphins plant Care
- String of Dolphins succulent will not survive a hard frost hence they are placed in the category of ‘soft succulents’.
- Senecio peregrinus plant has no major disease but have insects problem. Mealybugs can affects the leaves of the succulent.
- Please don’t do over watering. Over watering rot the succulent roots. You have to water the plant once it is completely dry.
- This succulent needs indirect bright light. Try to avoid placing this plant under direct sunlight as it can burn its leaves and damage the succulent plant.